Friday, March 06, 2015

Our First Home.

The day FINALLY came!! Brian and I bought a house. We had it built by Normark Homes and they were the best company EVER to build with. We were so so happy with them. They built our dream home and the process was painless and even FUN! Brian and I have extremely similar taste in style. We had heard horror stories and people telling us if you can make it through building a house, your marriage will survive anything. I knew others that had gotten in fights with their spouse that lasted a few days! Well, I can honestly say that was not the case for us. We agreed on nearly everything and what we didn't, it either wasn't a big deal, or we compromised or we talked the other person into what we wanted. It went very smooth and pretty stress-free.

Now....some people are wedding people or car people or travel people. I am a house person. I have dreamt about my house since I was a little girl! I remember cutting out pictures from magazines about what my house would look like. I loved (and still like) looking at show homes. I didn't dream about my wedding, I dreamt about my house! We have no plans to move from this house. It will be where our kids grow up. This is our home. It makes me ecstatic! 

{started digging May 8, 2014, we took possession October 23, 2014}










 Front entrance - double french door goes into the office. Hall to the left takes you into the house, that very first opening on the right goes downstairs.


 Then you'll look straight to the mud room (hooray for a door in case its messy!) That pic was taken before we moved in.  Turn to the right and the hall takes you into the main part of the house. Bathroom on the left.

One of the best things about building is designing things that I want. We put in a narrow closet that is just for a shoe closet! love that. Then the mudroom takes you through the walk through pantry into the kitchen.


the end of the hall (from the entrance) takes you to this...


 The fireplace is one of my favourite things in the house. I just love the way it turned out.









And the kitchen is my absolute favourite!!  
I love my huge island.




so glad I decided to do double ovens, and above the stove, the range has a ledge that'll be perfect for decorating!



 There are cupboards on the bar side of the island for extra storage!
 And I LOVE a pullout garbage and a microwave drawer -- the microwave was Brian's thing. He wanted that so bad!

{green tape were creaks in the floor that needed to be fixed by builder}

And then you go upstairs and come to the bonus room.




**Another brilliant decision was making the laundry room upstairs. In the showhome that our house is based off of, this room was a den- like a sitting room off the bonus room. We changed it to the laundry instead of having it in the mudroom. I LOVE upstairs laundry with a passion. Its a nice big bright room too. I need to put my vinyl quote up!



Kennedy's room...she picked turquoise.



Lexi's room is yellow (of course!!) but has yet to be decorated. Brian is making her a new bed, so I don't want to decorate until thats in.


My bathroom is the other favourite part of the house. I like the big tub and having my own space to get ready away from Brian! My side has a makeup vanity.





We also decided to develop the basement about 2 months into the build. BEST decision EVER!!! It was my sister that finally convinced me. We were going to do it in a few years, then realized that didn't make any sense. Then we'd have to live in the mess and chaos, it would cost more money and we wouldn't save it by Brian doing the work anyway. So we had the builders do it and we are so happy we did!!!

Theres a spare room, bathroom, my gym, a rec room and a future
theatre room one day and a big storage room. 










And thats our house!!


5 comments:

Sheri said...

I'm seriously speechless!!! This house is absolutely a dream. Wow. I love all the extra built-ins in the mudroom and closets. And that island and laundry wow. I seriously love upstairs laundry too. Your builder must have given you a great deal because builders in Edmonton charge a good $30k more then what you can contract out yourself to finish the basement. How nice to have your house all finished. Looks like the perfect place to raise your beautiful girls.

Kara said...

Fun!!!! I love your kitchen, too. Lots of open space and light :)

Kara said...

Fun!!! I love your kitchen, too! Lots of open space and light. :)

rebecca said...

love it!!!

Kelly said...

It's so beautiful! I love all the custom little things you put in like the microwave drawer. And I love your fireplace too, the stone is gorgeous! So wonderful it's all done and you can start making memories :)