Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Changes.

Lots of changes are happening soon! Lexi is starting Kindergarten. She will be gone all day Tuesdays & Thursdays and some Fridays. She is also starting gymnastics! She is super excited for that. I'm really not sure I made the right decision in putting Lexi in Kindergarten this year. I go back and forth. Her birthday is October 11 and the deadline is Dec 31 so she should start this year.  But I could just as easily hold her back another year. But do I want to do that because its best for her, or am I just scared for my baby starting school? Its really REALLY strange to me that my baby will be in school. I've been at home with kids for 8 years and it kills me that I won't have a little one with me all day, everyday! (And of course brings me joy at times to think of my freedom ;)
Will she struggle for being the youngest in the grade? Will she be shy because she isn't ready? Is it best for her to go and be challenged? She is so bored at home, and she wants to go to school......
I just don't know!!
She also goes back and forth for wanting to go. But I suppose thats normal.
I had these same thoughts last year when contemplating signing her up for preschool. I just couldn't bear the thought of her being away from me! I KNEW she wasn't ready to leave me and needed that extra time to be home with me, just as I knew I wasn't ready to let her leave. That was a pretty easy choice and I think she has benefitted from staying home and not doing preschool. She was clingy and shy and getting enough activities from primary, music class and skating lessons. It was good to have her home. Of course she got bored; Which is another reason I think she is ready for Kindergarten this year. I've read and talked to many moms and basically it comes down to the kid. Hopefully I'm making the right choice by putting her in!

Kennedy is going into grade 3! wow. She is growing! Still loving French Immersion. This year, her level of gymnastics bumped up to 3x/week. Shes been in since Kindergarten. I felt 3 times a week was WAY too much for an 8 year old to be gone, especially over the dinner hour AND she would have Activity Days right after on Tuesdays. We talked about it and both decided she should not go in. She was happy with that decision and instead asked to take piano lessons! So she is signed up for that and we will look into swim club or lessons.


1 comment:

Sheri said...

Crazy I still think of her as a baby! Alysha was an Oct baby and did great. James was a December birthday (only 5 weeks between their birthdays) and I held him back. I totally agree it is all about the individual kid!